Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Speaking of Trials...

I'm still, sadly, working on Day 5. Creativity comes in fits and starts. The problem isn't the coding...in fact, quite a bit of the coding is in place. The problem is, in fact, the descriptions. While I could just put "placeholder" text in certain situations ("You cast the spell, and feel more bimbo-like"), I know that if I do, I'll never go back and actually fix it.

Day 5 is therefore the bane of my existence. Day 6 will be much easier, at least in terms of variability. There won't be any kind of "real world" interactions, as at that point you'll be locked in to whatever feminine form you've acquired. Karma will still change, though. I suppose I could, in theory, build another real world set of interactions, but really, can I have my sanity, please? It's hard enough to hang on to it as it is, dammit.

Day 4 was about a fantasy adventure world. Day 5 was about a fantasy transformative world. Day 6? Day 6 will be about the real world. With fantastic elements.

What saddens me is that Trials was supposed to be a contest game, finished at the end of February. It's now June, and I'm still working on it. I really just want to move on, dammit, get back to working on Cursed, which is honestly much more fulfilling from an intellectual standpoint, but no, I have to finish this. I will. Hell or high water, it'll be done, and hopefully soon, but man, I'm tired of working on it every day.

IN OTHER NEWS

I know this blog isn't like Fenoxo's or Valente's, where the most recent version of a game is posted and playable with just about every update (...yet?), but I do like to know what people think of my ramblings and plans. So, please, feel free to leave a comment, ask a question, whatever. I'll try my best to respond. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I thought I'd leave a comment on this since you mentioned it.

    I feel like a big reason others don't leave comments is probably because most discussion for the games and everything comes about on the tfgamessite forum. If I ever notice there's an update and think I have something to say about it, I tend to post over there.

    Also, I thought I'd mention this because you seem to be expressing doubt about holding off release of the game until it's fully completed. I think there are maybe some tangible advantages to more frequent releases. Creativity always seems to benefit from some level of social activity. Writers will have editors and publishers who see stories in very unfinished forms, professional game studios typically work in teams and will have a lot of testers to give feedback on a game as it's still in progress. I think this social level of it encourages progress to continue, as well as probably helping refine the development of the game. Ultimately, it's obviously your choice on periodic updates or waiting until the game is actually completed, and my motives are definitely impure when encouraging you to do some beta releases, but I do honestly think there's something to be said for it. Being able to read your blog for what you're thinking and the way you plan to implement things is cool, but seeing those thoughts in action would be bound to drum up more commnets, even if the comments are pretty much "oh my god your game is so fun!"

    That can be nice to hear from time to time, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete