Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

So that happened

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to get back on my computer until...well, more or less now. I did get a graphics card*, but it's absolutely not a good card. My attempt to replace it with a different one ended...poorly.

Also, my legs aren't working so good as a more or less direct result.

I'm going to try to get some more work done this weekend, most likely on Sunday. But since I can't really do anything related to the game right now, I'm kind of...stymied.

This is really frustrating, I know, but when my shit breaks, it breaks.

* My old graphics card fan, which had been giving me trouble for months, decided to have a wire get pulled loose, which meant that my idle temperature for the card was about 80 degrees Celsius, more than 50 degrees higher than it should be. Top it off with the fact that my old card was one of the more notoriously difficult to repair cards, and basically, it necessitated replacement.

10 comments:

  1. Didja try punching it in the face? It's a tried and true redneck maintenance technique... It even works occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Redneck solution that I myself was forced to use years ago (and then later my brother adopted)

    Remove the fan entirely from the Video Card, but make sure the Heat Sink remains attached. Then, leave the side of the case off, and use tabletop fan and point it right into the computer - the bigger the fain the better.

    My brother ran his computer like that for a couple years - when not in a game, the card kept cool-enough w/o the fan. When he started up a 3D game, the tabletop fan was just enough to keep the computer//card running stable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe try sitting near a cold tile floor and turn on a fan facing it. It worked for cooling my old computer off before I wore it out and it caught on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you could just get a new cooler, depending on the model theyre about 20$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the card has a very proprietary layout that means I'd need to get a specific heatsink for it...that's not made anymore. So I really can't do anything with some heavy custom work, and that's not worth it.

      Delete
  5. so what model did u go with this time? =O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, after returning the card and getting a better one, I got the Geforce GT520.

      Delete
    2. nice, make sure you take good care of that fan this time! XD

      it should do you well. 1gb (or 2gb depending on the version) of DDR3 should hold you down for a while. ^_^

      Delete
  6. AM Quote of FenChat:

    (21:23:46) Anonymous_Man: If I see any donations without requests today, I'm going to track you people down. And, like, shake your hand or something.
    (21:23:50) Anonymous_Man: WITH A GAROTTE WIRE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to your legs? O_o

    ReplyDelete