Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Slight Setback

So I was working on Trials yesterday and closed RAGS when the memory leak problem resulted in it slowing down (NB: I don't know that RAGS actually has a memory leak, I just know that when it's been idle for a while, it gets very slow loading stuff). I came back to it, and Trials wouldn't open. Kept crashing the designer.

Fortunately, I was able to restore a backup and reopen it. Since I religiously save most of the time, I only lost about an hour of work.

Day 5 is proceeding apace. The problem is that there's a lot of variables to consider. Have you had sex with a lot of people, or have you been chaste? Have you mostly had sex with men, or with women? Are you good, bad, or neutral? Did you finish certain tasks with certain objects in your possession? And on and on. It's a lot to keep track of (and yes, in case you're wondering, every single one of those questions is significant).

It's hard to keep going on this, I'll be honest. The problem is that once I realize a beta, the desire to continue with the game tends to wane, which is why I usually don't release betas. I prefer to release finished games.

I've also been thinking about Cursed, and I think it's going to undergo some significant changes. I might still use the build that I've got, but I'm thinking that it might be better suited to a different setting. So I might adapt it to something else, like a medieval setting. Same (overly) complicated mechanics, but just a different setting. It's something I'm considering, but since I'm not likely to work on Cursed until I finish Trials, it's not at the forefront of my mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment